Wednesday, December 18, 2013

STARTING


ABSTRACT

I will try to produce Chou croute at home. This delicious food is produced from white cabbage through the process of fermentation. This process is based on transformation of row food to the final product, with the intervention of microorganisms like bacteria, yeast or molds. The microorganisms are transforming the proteins by  which compose the vegetable through the enzymatic procedure. And that happens with the aid   of time or heat changing the flavor of the vegetable. All that processes is known from the ancient times and only the last century the humanity realized the underlying-scientific bases. I will try to give some explanations of the most important issues and their definitions. Like Fermentation, denaturing proteins and the role of microbes enzymes. I  hope to get a delicious result.

 MOTIVATION

I came to the decision to prepare the Chou croute because   I found interesting the fermentation procedure of vegetables  and  the Sauerkraut making. But also for personal reasons.
As Pr. McGee writes ''Fermentation is the process of management by microbes to transform a row plant into foods that resist spoilage.''. It is magic. I think that the making a sauerkraut from fresh cabbage will give me the opportunity to understand how fermentation proceeds in this particular recipe.
I followed the lecture of Pr. Lander from MIT (edx, THE SECRET OF LIFE) and I was fascinated from the miracle of Life in general. Based on proteins and a enzymes. The enzymes are proteins with a special function, though they catalyze -spead up- through lowering the activation energy of a chemical reaction.   I admired the efforts of the scientists to explain Life through the DNA understanding. 
Microbes, yeast and molds are the archaic ancestors of Homo sapient.  They live with us, in us and play a crucial role on our existence and the existence of any living organism, like vegetables.
On the other hand Sauerkraut is delicious, especially for me that I discovered the taste many years ago as student in Vienna. 
THE RECIPIE  '
read more..

No comments:

Post a Comment